PixyCam2 Approval for Rescue Line

Would TC please confirm I am allowed to use this pixyCam version 2:

I want to clarify some of its advertising before you look at the website https://pixycam.com/pixy2/.
On the website it says,
“Pixy2 is smaller, faster and more capable than the original Pixy. Like its predecessor, Pixy2 can learn to detect objects that you teach it, just by pressing a button. Additionally, Pixy2 has new algorithms that detect and track lines for use with line-following robots.

When the website says, “Pixy2 has new algorithms that detect and track lines for use with line-following robots.” It does not mean the firmware itself can line trace the line. The firmware does not have ANY line tracking program in it. It only gives me back tail(x,y) values and head(x,y) values of the vector. The vector is an arrow drawn by the camera on the line it sees.

The reason I think it should be allowed :

1. I have confirmed with pixyCam support and from its forum (see the email and forum link is at the bottom) that the PID for line tracking is not embedded in the firmware, but just an independent sample which I do not use…
  2. it simply provides 2 sets of (x,y)s of small line segments. At the intersection, it provides three sets of (x,y)s with corresponding angles relative to the cam position. .

Dear TC, please confirm.

1 Like

Hi @agulyani23,

Did you check this post ?

Yes, I did read that post. But, the post has inaccurate information which is why I contacted PixyCam support to verify the information. They said, that the PixyCam2 does not have any built in line tracking algorithm. The email to the support is attached to my post above. Pixy2 does not control my motors in any way. The Pixy2 is simply a sensor returning info to my program. It is up to me to choose what to do with the returned info. It is the same as using any other sensor.

Thanks,
Aadithya

Dear Aadithya,

Thank you for reaching out to the manufactures to confirm this. We have tested the pixy2 and its line tracking algorithm as well, and came to the same conclusion.

So we will allow the use of pixy2 as a sensor to output certain values to be fed into your control system that you develop.

Best regards,

Kai Junge
2019 TC

Bravo to Aadithya! This is a good thing for others to learn from - do not just read the hype from website, but go after the fact by reaching out to specification and/or manufacturer.

4 Likes

Thank you @kaijunge!