Soccer Simulation Demo 2022 - Do you want to participate?

After quite a successful trial run of the Demo competition this year (Soccer Simulation Demo 2021 - Do you want to participate?), we’d like to see if there is interest in doing something similar in the upcoming one.

The setup will be quite similar – we’ll still use Webots and the robots will be programmed in Python – but the code of the simulator will most probably change a bit, so that the matches are at least a bit closer to what the RoboCuJunior Soccer looks like in the real world (i.e. it’ll be close to the Lightweight league). You can see a sneak peak of what it may look like in the end at How to program your robot - RCJ Soccer Sim

Although no dates have been set yet, we tentatively plan this event for January 2022 and as always, we are inviting all RCJ Soccer teams with members under the RCJ age limit around the world to participate!

Do let us know if you plan to join us in the form below – it will have direct impact on whether we’d actually do it (you know how it is…).

As always, should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to send them here to this forum thread.

We hope to see you (and your code!) at the event! :slight_smile:

Hi @mareksuppa !

May I have a few questions?

1. Shall this competition still be in “Demo” status, or will it be an “Official” competition?
  2. Can members of the Simulation team also participate in either a Soccer Open or a Soccer Lightweight team?
  3. Will the Soccer Simulation Demo Competition 2021 final’s source codes from the teams be shared?

Thank you,
Robert

Hi @rlaszlo ,

Sure, let me respond inline:

This will still be a Demo competition, one in which we’ll try out the simulator’s environment that we would most probably use in the Summer, should the situation warrant it.

Absolutely, this being a Demo competition, we do not have any specific limits with regards to the other leagues.

There are no concrete plans for that yet but since sharing is very much part of the culture around RoboCupJunior competitions, I do think we would lean towards sharing it.

Hope this helps!

– Marek

I would say we will not share demo source codes before the actual RCJ championship in July (of course if SoccerSim league will be part of the competition), similarly to last year.

I can only second @adrianmatejov’s view – the source code would only get released well after this year’s competition finishes.