Soccer Simulation Demo 2021 - Do you want to participate?

Hi, @Alex In this first demo we are going to use Python. But maybe we can expand this to other programming languages in future editions.

Hello, @Armin. Our plan is to follow RoboCup Junior General Rules, which state that the maximum number of team members is 4 for Soccer. https://junior.robocup.org/robocupjunior-general-rules/
We will post specific regulations for the Soccer Simulation Demo in the next weeks.

Hello, everyone!

Thanks a lot for filling in the form to let us know you want to participate on the Soccer Simulation Demo 2021. The pool is now closed. We had 22 responses from 13 countries! Therefore, I am happy to say that the Soccer Simulation Demo competition 2021 is going to happen!!

Within the next weeks we are going to post the specific rules and dates for the simulation competition. So, keep an eye on the forum!

I hope to see all your (simulated) teams in the competition! :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Felipe.

Yes…it would be great in participating the Soccer Simulation Demo 2020 as there will be best goalkeepers in the world who play brilliantly and try to win the match against the opponent. It would be great to watch the Demo.

1 Like

Hi Felipe,
our boys signed up and are looking forward to the competition, but have not heard back.
Is this still in planning? I understand that news would be posted both by email to registered teams and on this forum, so it’s not that we have missed the news, is it?
We would really appreciate a brief update, where do things stand with the soccer simulation competition?

1 Like

Dear @Armin and all,

YES! The Soccer Simulation Competition demo is going to happen!

Sorry for not posting updates sooner. We (the TC) are still working on the implementation of the competition, but it is taking longer than we anticipated.

The current status is:

• Rules: we are finalizing the adaptation of the 2021 Soccer rules to the simulated environment. You can expect the rules to be a simplified version of the regular rules, with some specific content related to the simulation environment. Our plan is to post the rules in the next two weeks.
  • Simulator: we are going to use Webots (open-source robot simulator). The soccer simulation competition will run on a Webots world that we are adapting to work with our rules and to accept code in Python. A GitHub page is being prepared with instructions to download and run the code. We are also working on a demo team with a (very) simple example on how to program the virtual robots.
  • Date: the current plan is to run the actual competition in the weekend of 30-31st January, 2021. Deadline for submitting code should be around 7-10 days before the competition.

I will post updates when we have news. And, when we have everything prepared, we will get in touch via e-mail with all the teams that filled the form.

Cheers!

Felipe.

1 Like

Is this the github page you are referring to?

Yes, @konoe_akitoshi. This is the one. Feel free to download and give it a try, but keep in mind that this is not the final version! We are still working on it.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hey, everyone!

As I mentioned before, the Soccer Simulation Competition demo competition is confirmed!

Please, follow the link below to find up-to-date information about the competition:

Cheers!

Felipe.

@konoe_akitoshi, @Armin, @Alex, @SportsGeeks

1 Like

Great… .

In the meantime,will there be a hardware element in the competition which allows team to submit their hardware design ? Since I know some teams may have put a lot of effort in the hardware solution. Thought? Such as give teams hardware design - design and submit their CAD. etc . ?

Hi, @elizabeth.mabrey.

We understand that teams put a lot of effort in hardware design, also. But, in the simulation competition of February 2021 there is no hardware design element. The competition is going to focus on the programming aspect only, and all teams are going to use the same simulated robots.

We are investigating how to incorporate other aspects in a possible virtual competition in June. The hardware design competition is a good suggestion. Thanks!

Felipe.

We are still

How do I register to participate?
Is there any prerequisites to participate?
It’s the first time I try to participate, so I’m a little lost with all the information lol.

Welcome, @Ruhtra47!

It is a lot of information, indeed. But, don’t worry! You will get there! :slight_smile:

To participate you need to be between 14 and 19 years old. You also need to form a team of 2, 3 or 4 people within the same age limits. All members must participate on one team, only (it is not allowed that the same person is part of more than one team).

Registration is not open, yet. In January a link will be posted in the thread below. Please, follow it to keep up-to-date.

Cheers!

Just a thought… it really does not need to be confined by the Simulation. In addition, soccer stands out from other leagues is the most demanding in electronic and mechanical design. Can we turn this virtual restriction to our advantage?

Besides, as we all fully aware, this is a VERY different time which requires some out of ordinary ideas :slight_smile: ?

How about this:

• a serious of scaffolding secret challenges on circuit virtual design, using online tools, with set of rules. The series will collectively be resulting in a final product that aims to do a certain task?
  • whoever does it, they are required to present and explain to others and open to Questions by judges and teams.

This will really be challenging and fun.

Hi, @elizabeth.mabrey.
Those are great suggestions! Unfortunately, we don’t have the capacity to implement anything like this in the February demo competition. But we will certainly consider your thoughts when planning the June competition.
Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:
Felipe.

O absolutely… I should have clarified. My suggestion was referring only to the World competition in June (Summer), not coming Feb.

@Felipe
Thank you for providing a wonderful place for us.
By the way, I have a question, I am new to python and webots. Do you have any sample code?
I would really appreciate it if there is…

Regards!
Akitoshi.

1 Like

Hi, @konoe_akitoshi.

Sure! The GitHub of the RCJ Soccer Sim has basic instructions to install everything. It also contains some simple code examples.

By the way, have you registered already? If not, please do so ASAP!

When you open the GitHub page (link below), click on the folder “Controllers” to access the code for each of the robots. You will see 7 folders (1 per robot + one for the artificial referee). You should not change the code in the referee folder.

The other 6 folders have code to control the 6 robots (3 from each team). You can use the code there as a starting point. To change the behavior of the robots, change the code from the file rcj_soccer_player_b*.py (blue team) or rcj_soccer_player_y*.py (yellow team). I hope that the comments in the code help you understand what you need to do.

Success!

1 Like

Hi! :slight_smile:
After registering for the competition we only received a Google form recept, is it alright? Or it must be an email from Robocup ?

Hi, @Raha.
Yes, that’s all right. This is a demo competition organized by the Junior Soccer Technical Committee, not the official RoboCup competition. So, no e-mail from RoboCup should be expected.
Success!
Felipe.