RoboCup Junior: Rescue Line Rules 2018: Rules 3.5.12 and 3.5.15

I am a RoboCup Junior Rescue Line Italian referee and I have a doubt about the new Rules for 2018 that will have to be applied this year. The doubt is about the new rules for the evacuation zone, one of which (3.5.12) says the following:

Teams must prioritise the evacuation of live victims first; the judge will not reward a successful dead victim rescue, until ALL of the live victims have not first been evacuated. To earn points for the rescuing of dead victims, all living victims must have first been rescued.

The rule is quite clear about the fact that the points for dead victims should be awarded only when all living victims have first been rescued, but it doesn’t clarify what to practically do in the case a dead victim is taken to the evacuation point when not all of the living victims have been taken there first. Now there are multiple interpretations:

• Should the dead victim be re-deployed in the evacuation zone?
  • Should it be taken into consideration as “rescued” awarding the points after all of the living victims have been rescued?
  • Should they not be taken into consideration and removed physically at all without assigning any points to the team?

This is my first question.

The second doubt I have is about the rule 3.5.15, which says:

When a lack of progress occurs after the final check point marker, 5 points will be deducted from each victim rescued (however points will not be a negative number).

This is even less clear than the previous one:

• Does the judge have to award points as soon as a victim is successfully rescued and then subtract 5 points for each one of them if a lack of progress occurs after the successfully rescue?
  • After a lack of progress has occurred, if another victim has been rescued, how much points should the judge award to the team? The full score (and then subtract 5 points if a lack of progress occurs after this), or the full score minus the number of lacks of progress occurred after the last checkpoint multiplied by 5?
  • Does the judge have to award the full score for the victims rescued at the first attempt, the full score minus 5 for each victim rescued at the 2nd attempt, the full score minus 10 at the 3rd attempt, the full score minus 15 at the 4th attempt, … with each victim finally keeping the score they got at the moment of the rescue (e.g. the victims rescued at the first attempt keep the full score, the ones rescued at the 2nd attempt the full score minus 5, …) without taking into consideration the following lacks of progress?
  • What shall the judge do in the case of a dead victim rescued before all of the living victims in the correct case?

I hope I clearly expressed my question about the rules, and I suggest the RoboCup Junior organisation to update the Rules to better clarify this topic.
Thank you in advance to everyone who helps me to solve this.

Hello Damiano,
thanks for your detailed question!
Regarding the first one, I have written an answer here

without having noticed your question. Maybe the threads should be merged @moderators

Regarding the second question: I think this rule is kind of like the maze reliability bonus in reverse. I’d interpret it as follows:

• Yes, if a LOP occured in the last section, five points will be subtracted for each victim. Probably the easiest way is to handle this in the score sheet and do the processing afterwards in an excel sheet
  • It does not matter at what time the LOP occurs. If the robot successfully rescues a victim and a LOP occurs, the 5 points will be subtracted for all victims rescued until the end of the run.
  • It’s five points fixed, independent from the amount of LOPs
  • I don’t think that five points should be removed from dead victims rescued before the living victims (as the teams don’t get any points for that, so that would be unfair). But the rules don’t specify the kind of rescue (successful or not, assuming that a rescue of a dead victim before all living victims are found is no successful victim rescue).

Awaiting confirmation from the @RCJ-RescueTC.
Best,
Jan

Dear Damiano

Sorry for the late reply. For the first question, I have covered it in the same thread as Jan posted (Question about order of rescue). Please refer to this.

For the second part of the question, once again Jan has the correct idea. Just to reinforce it, let’s think of a theoretical scenario.

A team’s robot has reached the final check point and began to search for victims. During the search, the team captain calls two lack of processes. However, in the end the robot was able to score two live victims in level 2, therefore they will get 40x2=80 points for victim evacuation.

However, because the robot has done two lack of progresses during the run, 5x2 = 10 points will be deducted from each victim rescued. i.e.: the final score would be (40-10)x2 = 60 points.

To deploy this rule into practice, calculate 5 times the lack of progress. At the end of game, subtract that point off each victim rescued before summing up the victim points. If points go negative, instead award 0 points.

Does this make sense? Sorry for the confusion.

Best,

Kai Junge - 2018 Rescue TC

1 Like