Draft rules for RoboCupJunior Soccer 2022 released

Hello everyone,

After a bit of a break (the virtual format of the 2021 competition was indeed quite exhausting for everyone) and much later than we’d like to, we are happy to share with you the draft rules for the 2022 competition. You can find the rules on the links below in two formats (the contents are exactly the same):

Let me also comment a bit on why did it take this long for the rules to get published, even in this draft form. As you can imagine, there are various reasons for it:

• The changes that were previously announced for 2022 didn’t assume a world which fights with a global pandemic.
  • We haven’t played any (official) matches on the international level for the past two years.
  • There is a lot of uncertainty around what the competition is going to look like in 2022.

That all being said, we completely understand the need for the rules to get released with the school year starting (at least in the Northern Hemisphere) meaning by the end of August / early September. In an ideal world, we’d have at least a draft of the new rules very shortly after the international competition finishes and this is indeed a state we are trying to get to. Sadly, we haven’t really been able to do so this year, which is fully my responsibility. Part of it could certainly be chalked up to a need to wind down after organizing the virtual event but it still would not be the first time this has happened, which seems to be hinting at a more systemic problem than just this year’s situation. Figuring out how to do this well will be a priority for most of 2022.

Finally, I would also like to note that the rules are still in a “Draft” state, meaning they might still change, but we don’t expect the changes to be very significant.

As always, if you have any thoughts / questions / comments, please do not hesitate to let me know – I will do my best to react promptly in here.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Marek, thanks a lot for posting the new rules!
This is the hardest cut I could imagine for 2vs2: 18cm AND golfball.
However, it will be a challenge and we all have some time to prepare…

Stop blaming yourself for not being ready in September,
having draft rules at the very beginning of October is early enough.

I found some “bits an pieces” while reading the rules:
1 “Preface” change soccer 2vs2 ball from “2.5cm” to “1.5 cm” as mentioned later anyway.
2. If a robot is designed to kick the golfball vertically (at least partially), what about the standard game? Is the robot allowed to lift the ball as well? This could be clarified somewhere.
3. It could be a good idea to design a “golf ball - kick power measuring device” as a kicker that is optimized for a golf ball will hit the IR-Ball at a far below center of gravity - point making the standard measuring device to a “random generator”

These suggestions are no rule changes at all, so there is no hurry, but I thought telling you as early as possible could help.

Greetings,
Roland

Hi @stiebel,

Thank you for your reply! Let me address a couple of them inline

That’s a good catch – thank you for spotting it, I’ll make sure we update it.

It is indeed a good question and something we wanted to clarify. We don’t really have much of a clear idea how to best set it up in the rules but at the very least we really do not want the orange (or any other) ball to move outside of the playing field, meaning away from the walled-in area (which includes anything above the 22cm line denoted by the height of the walls).

Yes, you are very much right – we are currently working on a new design that should make this at least somewhat sensible. We’ll try to post a draft of it soon and as always, would appreciate any feedback :slight_smile:

Hi! Since there is still no information about kick power measuring device for golf ball can you tell us how powerful kickers will be allowed? Or at least how they will compare to old kickers in terms of kick power or ball speed?

Thanks,
Team DOT.

Hi @ilust ,

Thank you for your question!

We are working on a new design of the kick power measuring device as we speak. Although the actual constants are still being determined, we expect the ball speed not to go over 1 meter per second.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi mareksuppa!
Thank you for reply, ~1 m/s helps a lot.

Thanks,
Team DOT.

hi has there been any update so far? when will the new design be released. teams need this information to design their robots

If 1meter per second is still the constant, it is easy to use (almost) the same measuring device and just reduce the gap between the plates to 2cm, so that the golf ball can not slip through. However, the “initial step”, the small vertical line is to high for the golf ball.
If the 1m/s stays the constant I can “design” a new device. Give me a day…

get it here : https://github.com/stiebel/bohlebots/tree/main/kicker_measure
You can change anything you want or just use the zip-file to order at the pcb shop of your choice.
But be aware : This is not the office measurement device but only the BohleBots - device.

1 Like

Something different:
There is the rule, that the single camera is not allowed to have a commercial lenses with an angle of more then 140 degrees horizontally.
To get omnivision a “normal” team has to prepare mirrors and seeing a golf ball on a self made cone mirror at the other end of the field is near to impossible. So I wonder if we could change rules for 2023+, not 2022:
either : only one camera (with no reglementations about the field of view to give normal teams the chance to buy fish-eye lenses…
or : field of view is max. 140 degrees. It is not allowed to use any mirrors or lenses to increase the filed of view.
Why that?
Well, either it does not make a difference how to get the omnivision as bought one solutions are cheaper than good made ones,
or the challenge is especially not to have omnivison to increase the software skills and creativity to find out where to find the ball with a “human-like” field of view.
What do you think ?
(And again, this is not suggested for 2022, the rules have changed enough…)