Use of OpenMV H7 Camera, etc

Hi. I’m Takaki from Japan.

Our team has been developing new robots now.

I want to use omnidirectional camera, but the commercial ones aren’t allowed.

Limitations 8.2.C.1.
All commercial omnidirectional lenses/cameras are not permitted. Only omnidirectional lenses/cameras made by students are permitted, meaning that their construction needs to be primarily and substantially the original work of a team.

Then, If I make it by a commercial camera that isn’t omnidirectional for example OpenMV H7 Cam and a self-made curved mirror, is it allowed? Of course, we will design the shape of the mirror.

I’d be happy to get a reply. Thank you.

Talking in English is a little difficult for me, so I draw a figure.

Hi Takaki,
I am not an organizer, so my words have no official weight, but I can assure you that I have seen many robots with the setup you suggest. So yes, this is conform with the rules. You can’t use a commercial omnidirectional camera, but you can use a commercial single-direction camera and use mirrors and lenses to make it omnidirectional.

2 Likes

I’ve thought that the answer will be “Yes”, but I’ve never built a robot that has a camera so I worried about it a little. Now, I can say that the answer is clearly “Yes”.

Thank you your reply. ٩(๑❛ᴗ❛๑)۶

Hi @tanukichi41 ,

Thank you for your patience here.

I can officially confirm @Armin’s assessment here – the setup you describe would indeed be conforming to our current interpretation of the rules.

Good luck building a robot with a camera and if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

1 Like