Some questions about the competition

Hi @thomastseng0380,

Yes, that is the case – feel free to include as many files as you’d like. This is explicitly supported by the “new” setup.

– Marek

Is my understanding correct that the new code submission deadline ins now 5/27 Thursday 8am New York, 1pm London and 3pm Moscow, 9pm Tokyo time? It does not depend on which country or region a team is registered in, right?

Hi @Armin

In order to make it easier for teams who haven’t managed to submit their code yet we’ve pushed the submission date to the 26th of May. What that means is that wherever you may be located, please do submit the code by the end of 26th of May.

Hope that makes sense!

– Marek

Hi @Armin,

My team asked me the very same question as you asked: the code submission deadline as precise date and time in a specific time zone. I asked them to open the link above from Marek which resolves to this link: https://time.is/Anywhere_on_Earth . If one opens this link, it will show a precise date and time in the required time zone, and as a hint, it even shows some time zones for your convenience. I think this time zone is a quite fair definition of a deadline for any global competition where the task announcement happened globally without time zone differentiation. In this way each team has exactly the same amount of time to work and upload the code.

@mareksuppa: am I right that the deadline for code upload expires when time on this page passes 23:59:59 on 26th of May, 2021? So teams can use this page as a reference?

Thanks,
Robert

PS. the link above show the following time right now:

1 Like

Hi @rlaszlo,

Yes, you are indeed right.

Obviously, depending on your timezone there is a non-trivial chance that the date will have already moved to the 27th of May in the timezone you are residing by the time 23:59:59 on 26th of May passes on that webpage. Our personal experience suggests that that is which is why we strongly encourage the teams to submit their code by the end of the 26th of May in their timezone.

Hopefully this makes it a bit more clear :slight_smile:

Good luck everyone!

@mareksuppa
Sorry, I’m still confused by your “yes-but” response. If we use the cited web page, the submission deadline worldwide would be 12:00 noon UTC/GMT on 5/27. Unless you have a team from Bakers Island participating, that submission deadline is sometime on the 27th local time for all of the teams.
Of course it’s safer to submit earlier, but what is the actual deadline? Does it differ in terms of absolute time and is based on each team’s local time?

Hi @armin,

The point I was trying to get across was exactly that: yes, the deadline is effectively at the 1200 UTC on the 27th of May for everyone. But if I were you, I would try not to count on it – rather, I would play it safe and try to submit when your local clock still shows the 26th of May.

I guess that’s still a “yes-but” response, but hopefully it clears the situation at least a bit :slight_smile:

Once again, good luck everyone!

Are we going to have an event on the twenty-sixth and twenty-seventh? if yes, could we change the date? my school does not open on weekends

Hi @Lana

I believe the question you are asking might be the same as in the thread below – please follow it for future updates:

Thanks!