After downloading the updated code (with the new rules and fixes) from Github, we noticed quite a few problems that appear in the simulation.
Firstly, the robots all seem to run the same program. When we changed both of the motor speeds from
robot3.py, all of the robots, not just robot3, stopped moving. Additionally, when we edited the code in
robot2.py, the changes do not seem to have any effect on the robot as robot1 and robot2 continue to run robot3’s code. We are assuming that this problem could have something to do with the new structure of the robot controller folders.
Secondly, since the simulation runs pretty slowly at regular speed, when we do testing, we usually press the Run as fast as possible button. However, not only do all of the robots run at a much faster speed compared to before the demo competition when the original code was being used (which may not really be a problem), the match time does not speed up as it should be doing. Previously, if the simulation was run at double its original speed, the match time would also change at double its original speed. However, now, when the simulation is run at 7 times its original speed, the match time only runs at its original speed.
Thirdly, when the robots do not move at all, the ball moves automatically. Previously, this issue wasn’t as significant, but now, it ball does move quite a bit (having some velocity) without having any contact with the robots at the beginning of the match.
Lastly, we would like to readdress the issue of the robots slowing down. After having the opportunity to run the simulation with our robots playing against other robots (teams from the demo competition), we realized that the issue of the robots slowing down did not only occur for our robots. However, the slowing down of robots varied in degree in different matches (by chance) and on different teams, and worsens as the match lengthens (usually doesn’t occur in the first few minutes). This does affect the result of the simulation since the ball, quite strangely, does not appear to be slowing down. On a side note, when recording a video using the Record Button in Webots, even though the robots still slow down, it is not obvious in the recorded videos. So we do not think, as previously mentioned, that this issue is intrinsic to our code, and would like to know if other teams are experiencing the same problem and if the problem has something to do with the system itself.
Videos regarding these issues could be found with the link below: