Rescue Simulation : Robot direction at restart

Hello

Hello
I read “RoboCupJunior Rescue Simulation Rules 2023”. (RCJRescueSimulation2023RulesFinal.pdf)
so I have a question.

4.5.2. If there is a lack of progress, the Robot must return to the last visited checkpoint (or the start tile if it never reached a checkpoint). The Robot can be installed in any direction.

The rules state that ‘the robot can be installed in any direction’ when restarting from a checkpoint after LOP. Does this mean that the referee operating the PC during the game will adjust the direction of the robot?

When LOP occurs, is it acceptable for the team captain to instruct the referee on the direction of the robot?

Regards,
MASA

Hi,

It will be placed in “any” direction. Thus, your robot needs to check which direction with the IMU.

Elizabeth Mabrey
2023 Committee

Masa,

I am not on the TC committee but I am pretty sure the answer is that Erebus decides the direction when either an automatic or manual lack of progress happens. I know that is how it worked last year.

There is no ‘nice way’ for the judge to point the robot in any direction unless the judge stops the simulation and manually selects the robot to spin it.

And based on what I have seen when a lack of progress takes place it always points the robot ‘North’ after sending it back to the checkpoint.

Of course… I would not bet on that always happening but it seems to work that way on all the sample worlds I’ve made so far.

hello @elizabeth.mabrey

Thank you reply.

Rescue Simulation
4.5.2 The Robot can be installed in any direction.

Rescue Simulation rule 4.5.2 and Rescue Maze rule 4.5.2 have exactly the same wording.

Rescue maze

In Rescue Maze, after a LOP, the team captain can select the direction of the robot at the restart.
So, since it is written in the rule that the team captain can select the direction of the robot after a LOP in Rescue Maze, I assumed that the same applied to Rescue Simulation as well.
Although the same wording appears in the rules for both Rescue Simulation and Rescue Maze, it can be confusing that in Rescue Maze the team captain can select the direction of the robot after a LOP, while in Rescue Simulation they cannot. It creates a misunderstanding that the rules are the same for both competitions.

Could you please clarify the Rescue Simulation rules by explicitly stating that the simulator determines the direction of the robot at the restart after a LOP?

Regards,
MASA

Thank you for your input @Dennisma !

@MASA , considering that we don’t have any statement in the Rescue Simulation rules mentioning that the team captain can decide the direction of the robot, the wording is still applicable to this rule. Therefore, we won’t be updating this year’s rule definition to contemplate this change.

Thank you for your continuing support, I have added a task to revise this rule in the 2024 rules and might change the wording to make it more explicit.

Regards,

Diego Garza Rodriguez
2023 Committee

Hello @Dieguinilombrin

Thnak you reply.

considering that we don’t have any statement in the Rescue Simulation rules mentioning that the team captain can decide the direction of the robot, the wording is still applicable to this rule. Therefore, we won’t be updating this year’s rule definition to contemplate this change.

I understand this matter now.

I will confirm again regarding the operation of Rescue Maze and Rescue Simulation.

Although the same section is written in the rules, in Rescue Maze, the team captain can decide the direction of the robot at the restart after LOP. On the other hand, in Rescue Simulation, the team captain cannot decide the direction of the robot at the restart after LOP (the simulator determines the direction of the robot).
Is this correct?

Regards,
MASA

Hello MASA,

Although the same section is written in the rules, in Rescue Maze, the team captain can decide the direction of the robot at the restart after LOP. On the other hand, in Rescue Simulation, the team captain cannot decide the direction of the robot at the restart after LOP (the simulator determines the direction of the robot).

You are correct.

Rescue Maze: Team captain determines the robot orientation after LoP.
Rescue Simulation: Simulation or referee determines the robot orientation after LoP.

Regards,

Diego Garza Rodriguez
2023 Committee

Hello @Dieguinilombrin

Thank you reply.

your answer

Rescue Simulation: Simulation or referee determines the robot orientation after LoP.

Usually, after LOP occurs and a restart is initiated, the direction of the robot is determined by the simulator.
However, your answer mentioned situations where the referee might determines the robot orientation. What circumstances would lead to the referee determines the robot orientation?
and What kind of operation is involved when the referee specifies the direction of the robot?

Regards,
MASA

Hi @MASA ,

With my response I just wanted to clarify that, based on the rules, there is nothing preventing the referee from being the one making the decision of the direction. Currently our plans are to integrate the direction to be determined by the simulator, but if we see fit to incorporate a way for a referee to specify the direction, in theory, we can add it and be complied with the current rules.

Thanks!

Diego Garza Rodriguez
2023 Committee

Hello @Dieguinilombrin

Thank you reply

Currently our plans are to integrate the direction to be determined by the simulator

I see.
Basically, the simulator determines the direction of the robot.

but if we see fit to incorporate a way for a referee to specify the direction

So, it means that there is a possibility for the referee to operate the simulator and specify the direction of the robot, and currently, it is not defined under what circumstances this would be done.

Is it correct that I understood it in this way?

Regards,
MASA

1 Like

Hi MASA,

The direction is determined by the simulator, not the referee. The only manipulation from referee is when the virtual robot CLEARLY go in a loop - see 4.5.c.

Whenever a LOP is triggered, the direction of placement will still be determined by the engine. Not the team, nor referee.

hope this clears the confusion

–Elizabeth Mabrey
2023 RCJ Rescue Committee

Hello @elizabeth.mabrey @Dieguinilombrin

Thank you reply.

The only manipulation from referee is when the virtual robot CLEARLY go in a loop - see 4.5.c.

Does 4.5.c mean 4.5.1 c?

Elizabeth Mabrey wrote

the direction of placement will still be determined by the engine. Not the team, nor referee.

Diego Garza Rodriguez wrote

Simulation or referee determines the robot orientation after LoP.

Two people have different answers.
Which is correct?

Regards,
MASA

Hello @MASA ,

As my previous response indicated, I worded my answer based on the rules possibilities and explained that the only possible way today is by the simulation engine choosing the direction. To remove any possible confusion, take Elizabeth’s response as the source of truth, which means, the direction of placement will still be determined by the engine, not the team, nor referee.

I will work with the team to make it more clear in the next set of rules.

Thanks,

Diego Garza Rodriguez
2023 Committee

Hello @Dieguinilombrin

Thank you reply

Organizing your answers so far

in Rescue Maze, the team captain can decide the direction of the robot at the restart after LOP.
On the other hand, in Rescue Simulation, the team captain cannot decide the direction of the robot at the restart after LOP (the simulator determines the direction of the robot).

Is this OK?

Regards,
MASA

1 Like

Yes. It is correct.

It is due to the inherited differences between simulation and physical environment.