Questions about visual victims

Hello everyone!

I’m looking at the new 2017 rule changes about the implementation of visual victims, and two questions popped up from my head, hope anyone could help me figure them out :slight_smile:

• If the robot is at least 15cm from the visual victim and it is an unharmed victim (U), blinking the LED for five seconds gives you the victim detection points?

• Also, if the robot drops a rescue kit within the 15cm of the visual unharmed victim (U), would it receive the corresponding victim identification points and none from the kit drop?

Thanks for the replies and success for everyone in their national competitions!

Regards,

Diego Garza Rodriguez
RoBorregos
Mexico

1 Like

Hello Diego!

Let me answer your questions:

According to:
3.5.1 A robot can carry out one or both of the following actions to successfully identify a victim:
a) stop for five seconds within 15 cm of the victim and blink a visual indicator on and off.
b) deploy a rescue kit (see 3.5.3).
The robot will earn the points for identification no matter if he blinks the LED or deploys a rescue kit or does both.

According to:
3.5.4 […] Visual victims: […]
c) Unharmed (U): zero rescue kits per victim.
It will get no points for rescue kit drop.

So you have the following possibilities when facing an unharmed visual victim:

• blink a visual indicator on and off: 10 points linear wall, 25 points floating wall (identification)
  • deploy a rescue kit: 10 points linear wall, 25 points floating wall (identification) – no extra points for rescue kit deploying
  • blink a visual indicator and deploy a rescue kit: 10 points linear wall, 25 points floating wall (identification) – no extra points for rescue kit deploying

I hope this helps you. Thank you for your questions and good luck with developing your robot!

Jennifer Krieger
Technical Committee
Germany

3 Likes

Hello =D
I also have another question about the visual victims. The section of the rules of the 2017 Rescue Maze regarding the displacement of the visual victims wasn’t clear to me: <1.5.6 Visual victims are letters printed on or attached to the wall. They are printed in black, using a sans serif typeface such as “Arial”. Their height will be 4 cm. The letters represent the health status of the victim.>
So, If possible, I would like to know which one out of the three cases shown in the following picture this “4 cm” refers to. In case it’s the first or the second, then what is the font size of the victim? And in case it’s the third one, at what height is the victim located?
PS: the squares represent the walls (I assumed the visual victim would also be centralized on them).

Thanks in advance,
Karina Lin
Brazil

2 Likes

Dear Nina!

Welcome to the forum!

Rule 1.5.3 is referring to both visual and heated victims: “Victims are located near the floor of the field (centered approximately 7 cm above the floor).”

So the center of the letter will be located about 7cm from the ground, and the size of the letter will be approx 4cm high.

The third case in your images are the correct one! :slight_smile:

// Fredrik Löfgren, TC and OC member 2016 / 2017

2 Likes

Height cm. 4 but what about the WIDTH of the characters? Minimum, maximum? Thank you, danke, tack!

Dear Jennifer, a question about visual victims “S”:
if the robot finds a “S” and deploys 2 kits within cm.15 from the “S” the 10 points for rescue kit deployment are granted or not?
Danke!

Hi Peter,

what about the WIDTH of the characters? Minimum, maximum?

There is no clear answer on that. Since it is very hard to determine exact measurements of printed letters, we decided to only specify the height of the letters in the rules. If you use a sans serif typeface such as “Arial” like stated in the rules, you should be on the safe side.

if the robot finds a “S” and deploys 2 kits within cm.15 from the “S” the 10 points for rescue kit deployment are granted or not?

Yes, they are, but it is a waste of rescue kits.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:
Regards,
Jennifer

1 Like

Very clear as usual!

Another question: if the robot finds a “H” and deploys ONE rescue kit and goes away and after a while it passes again in proximity of the same “H” and drops a SECOND rescue kit (both within cm.15) the 20 points for “successful rescue kit deployment” are granted or not?
I know it can be a very rare event and maybe I look a bit pedant but it can happen… best regards, danke :wink:

Hi Peter!

The time between dropping the first and the second kit for a “H” victim doesn’t matter. It can be several minutes. The important here is that both kits touch the floor within 15cm of the victim.

It doesn’t matter if the first victim has been pushed outside of the 15cm limit before the second victim is dropped.

// Fredrik Löfgren, TC and OC member 2016 / 2017

1 Like

You wrote:
“It doesn’t matter if the first victim has been pushed outside of the 15cm limit before the second victim is dropped.”

Do you mean the first KIT and the second KIT?

I had the same interpretation but I asked to the TC to be sure about it.
Thank you, tack!

Hello,

Of course Rescue Kits, not victims :wink:

Sorry for any confusion!

// Fredrik Löfgren, TC and OC member 2017

1 Like

Hello
1.Can we refill rescue kits after the first 12 kits ?
2.Do you have total number of all victims ? how many of each ?

Thank you
Yupadee
Thailand

Hi Yupadee,

1. No, you are not allowed to refill the rescue kits, see:

1.6.4 A robot can only carry a maximum number of 12 rescue kits.

and

3.4.1 Modifying the robot during a run is prohibited, which includes remounting parts that have fallen off.
3.4.2 Any parts that the robot loses intentionally or unintentionally will be left in the arena until the run is over. Team members and judges are not allowed to remove parts from the arena during a run.

1. There is no total number of victims in the rules. It depends on the specific field layout and will be decided by the field designer.

Best,
Jennifer

1 Like