Open Soccer Dimensions Change Schedule

Is the planned schedule of reducing the dimensions of Open robots the same or has it been pushed back a year due to the cancellation of this year’s competition?

Hi @3WC,

Although the final version of the next year’s rules has not been finalized yet, the TC does indeed plan to push the dimension reduction of Open robots one year into the future.

Stay tuned for more in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!

– Marek

When the dimensions of the Soccerbots are changing, will also be the dimensions of the arena changed?

Hi Marek,
why that?
Due to the fact that there was no 2020 championship all teams have the chance to build a “future-ready” robot with much more time as usual. So teams may have started building an 18cm robot allready. This was the announcement since November 2019.
I would recommend to stick to that.

Roland
(Bohlebots from Germany)

Hi @mareksuppa, our team was wondering if there’s been any decision on this? I agree with @stiebel here - the changes to the rules were already released a long time ago, so I don’t think it is necessary to push back the timeframe.

Hope everyone reading this is doing ok! Stay safe!

Hi Marek,
In general I agree with the others that the teams have much more time than usual to build “future-ready” robots.
But time is one factor only. Due to the lockdown the teams were and partially still are quite limited in progressing with the development, manufacturing and testing. Our institution for example just re-opened the doors on August 1st.
The other factor is financing. Our institution is privately funded and depends a lot on support from companies and other sponsors. Since the companies are in a quite difficult economic situation right now the funding was reduced to almost nothing. This means there is no money to spend on the development of completely new robots. In our case we require new motors, new PCBs and of course a new mechanical structure and enclosure.
For us it is essential to push the dimension reduction of the robots one year into the future in order to participate in the upcoming season.
I can ony speak for us, but I believe there are many more teams in a similar situation due to the crisis and hope these factor are considered in the decision making.
Thanks.
Robert

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your patience on this thread. I am well aware that it is almost certainly too late but let me just quickly comment on what the situation looks like.

As you know, the 2021 rules in the end made it so that the dimensions were reduced for 2022 in the end.

We’ll see what the future brings and I really do not know what will be part of the 2022 rules but I’ll do my best to update this thread with any new information on the topic that becomes available.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to ask.

Thanks!