[Lightweight] Storming FC from USA

How many years have you been competing in in RCJ Soccer?

This is the first year

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve prepared for this year’s RoboCupJunior Soccer competition?

Our Robot’s Kicker

Where can we find your poster?

It should be available at https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1QEJNZ3NJdPg2KJ_LThDgDWZYtIY5-aOohWErsdfNF_U/edit?usp=sharing

Also, the team has prepared this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5F3fuh59lw&feature=youtu.be

If you’d like to know more, please feel free to ask @Rithsagea by replying to this thread or check the team’s webiste/repository at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Q-wbUy15XnOSqDXD2t7uGo6TDhLnI7Sx?usp=sharing !


Very good first year Team! Keep your work going so we can see you in action in 2021.

My questions are:

  1. Can you give us more details about the innovative battery system you created? And your own power regulator you used for replacing the Leonardo’s?

  2. How are you going to solve the issue WRT the overweight of the offensive robot?


Congratulations on the design of your robots!
I hope you can participate in the competition next year.


I’d also be interested to know what the reasoning is behind having three wheels on the goalie and four wheels on the offensive robot in spite of the weight penalty associated with that.

Also as a ref: Don’t forget to add handles to your bots, esp. with regard to the weight budget, handles are allowed extra height but not extra weight.

Best regards,


After researching past team’s robots, we saw a major issue with some of the designs, specifically the replacement of batteries. To combat this issue, we decided to use velcro strips attached on the robot and the battery packs so that the batteries can be easily removed from the robot. Additionally, we also kept in mind that the battery packs may fall out while the robot is moving around the field, thus we added small walls holding the battery packs in place, as can be seen in both Chassis designs.

The power regulator on the Leonardo wasn’t able to handle up to 500 mA, thus we used a L7805 1.2 Amp Voltage regulator and attached a TO-220 Clip-On Heatsink (found on Adafruit) with thermal paste to cool the regulator. With the assistance of the external regulator, the Leonardo was able to handle the amount of amps required for the different sensors and motors.


Thanks! We also are looking forward to the competition next year. :slight_smile:


The weights on the spreadsheet for our poster was estimated to be the worst case scenario, mainly for our plates since at the time of making the spreadsheet we hadn’t completed our designs. When we actually printed our plates, they were much lighter than we projected them to be, especially with all of the holes we put into our plate to save weight. This made up for the overweight of the offensive robot on the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet contains inaccurate data, as we only used 20D motors. We have changed this in our poster.

1 Like

We decided on using three wheels for the defensive robot because the robot didn’t require as much speed as the offensive robot and the loss of one motor compensates for the weight from the kicker and dribbler on the robot. On the other hand, the offensive robot relies on the momentum it generates to propel the ball, thus adding a fourth motor would allow for a higher maximum velocity. Thanks for your question, David.