🤖 CoRoSoN Kit: Components for RobocupJunior Soccer Newcomers

Hello all,

I would like to introduce you to a project:

:robot::soccer: CoRoSoN Kit: Components for RobocupJunior Soccer Newcomers

In short:

• Starting out with RoboCupJunior Soccer is complicated.
  • LEGO®¹ MINDSTORMS®¹ EV3 is retired.
  • Let’s develop components helping RoboCupJunior newcomers participate.

Our complete concept of what we want to do, what we don’t want to do, how we do it and who we are can be found on our GitHub page: https://github.com/CoRoSoN-Kit/CoRoSoN-Kit

We are looking forward to your feedback and invite you to participate. :slightly_smiling_face:

Greetings from Germany

tknobi

¹: Disclaimer: LEGO® and MINDSTORMS® are trademarks of the LEGO® Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.

1 Like

This is awesome! Did you give any thought on how the competition may be set up? I was thinking a good primary/standard league could be 1 v 1, use the old orange ball (much cheaper, easier to deal with, and organizers probably still have a few laying around), and the field could be cut in half to make it easier to fit in a classroom and still be easily adaptable for current organizers.

Also, thinking about the stockpiles of EV3/NXT motors and other kit parts laying around - any goals of making it so that the control board could still use them? It may be too much of a pain to have the correct RJ jacks but nothing saying one cannot cut and strip a kit bot’s wires to go into some screw terminals.

Thanks for starting this!

Thanks Mike for the kind words!

Did you give any thought on how the competition may be set up?

It must be said that we are still at a very early stage of development. So far, there is a concept and we are brainstorming for the different components how we want to implement them.

We would love to see robots build with the CoRoSoN-Kit in the standard leagues where LEGO® robots are allowed today. (For example the Soccer 1vs1 Standard Kit Entry Rules in germany.) Until then, the components can be used in the LightWeight and Open League.

Also, thinking about the stockpiles of EV3/NXT motors and other kit parts laying around - any goals of making it so that the control board could still use them?

Yes good idea. I personally think that we should make this possible. However, I would do that in a second step. In the first step we want to offer a motor component. (Brainstorming ongoing)
I created this github issue with your idea

This is an important point as there is currently only one supplier of IR balls of which it is not cetain how long they will continue production.

The Entry fields we use in most of Europe are the old Soccer fields from before the enlargement, they are already much more handleable. Designs for two-segment-fields each segment of which is small enough to be carried by one person do exist, this is what e.g. my school uses.