4.6.1 What is "reach"?

Hello
I read “RoboCupJunior Rescue Line Rules 2023”. (RCJRescueLine2023RulesFinal.pdf)
so I have a question

4.6.1 Points are awarded per hazard when the robot has reached the next tile in sequence.

It says that if the robot “reaches the next tile”, and it will be scored.
The robot will follow the black line, but when will the score be recognized?
Under what conditions will the referee recognize that “the robot has reached the next tile”?

Regards,
MASA

Hi @MASA,

refer to rule 4.4.6. The robot has visited a tile when more than half the robot is within that tile when viewed from above.

Also, robot has to be following the line in the following tile, if it loses the line before half of the robot is inside the next tile, the points won’t be awarded.

Best,
Matej
2023 committee

Hello Matej
thanks for reply.
Your answer is that “reach(4.6.1)” and “visit(4.4.6)” mean the same thing.
At RoboCup 2022 Bangkok, Rescue committee told us that “reach(4.6.1)” is different from “visit(4.4.6)”.
4.6.1 and 4.4.6 are almost the same notation for 2022 rules and 2023 rules.
Has the rule’s judgment changed?

Regards,
MASA

Hi @MASA,

Oh I see the confusion. “Visited” is a term used in Rescue Maze as well, where it is applicable. However, in Rescue Line, there is an additional requirement to follow the line that is required for a tile to be “reached”. I’ll bring this up to the rest of the committee to have it fixed ASAP.

In conclusion, to reach a tile more than half of the robot has to be in that tile (when looked from above), and robot has to be following the line, at that point in time.

Thank You for the remark,
Matej
2023 committee

Hello @Matej

Thank you reply.

your answer :
“reach the next tile” is
a) more than half of the robot has to be in next tile
and
b) Robot has to be following the line

The Judge training at RoboCup 2022 Bangkok
I was explained by the Rescue Committee that “reach the next tile” is “The robot is moving along the black line in next tile.”
He didn’t explain that “more than half of the robots will enter the next tile”.

I found the same question as mine

The diagram in this answer is the explanation I was presented at RoboCup 2022 Bangkok.
There is no “half of the robot enters the next tile” here.

Is “more than half of the robots will enter the next tile” necessary for robots award point in 4.6.1?
I would appreciate if you could clarify this

Regards,
MASA

Hi @MASA,

“The robot is moving along the black line in next tile.” and my answer are the same. The “half of the robot in the next tile” is a clarification of what it means to “move along” the line in the next tile.

If robot “loses” the line before more than half of it is in that tile, we can’t really say it was moving along the line successfully.

Hope this clarifies it.

Best,

Matej 2023 committee

Hello @Matej
Thank you reply.

Rule 4.6.1
“reached the next tile” means
“more than half of the robot has to be in next tile”
and
“robot has to be following the line”

I see
I would appreciate it if you could write this in the rules.

About the ramp score.
If the robot climbs the ramp and reaches the upper horizontal tile, it scores the ramp.
If “half of the robot enters the tile” and “the robot is following the black line” before the robot is level on theupper horizontal tile, is it scored?

Regards,
MASA

Hi @MASA,

We will clarify this in the rules, don’t worry.

About your ramp question: short answers is yes, in the rules it says “reach” so the same definition I mentioned before is applicable.
So, if for example rear wheels are still on the ramp, but more than half of the robot is in the leveled tile, and robot is clearly reacting to the line and moving along the line, points will be scored.

Best,
Matej
2023 committee

Hello @Matej

Thank you reply many times.
I understood 4.6.1.

Regards,
MASA