we want to kick of discussion on proposed rule changes. We are currently considering the following changes, some suggested from the community and some ideas from the organization side. A draft PDF with these changes incorporated is in the making, we’re just currently overhauling the rules generation system a little bit as well.
As usual we are creating one discussion thread per proposed change, all tagged #soccer-rules-2024
- Change ball response requirement from “direct forward movement” to “robot has to move a ball away when it is on the nearest neutral spot”. Discussion thread here
- Removal of the 12V and 15V voltage limits as suggested in this thread
- Allowing more kicker power in Light Weight League as well by using a similar testing method to Open League – if anyone has a LWL robot that has lots of kicker power some videos to look at what we might allow would be great, details in this discussion thread
- SuperTeam Bye: SuperTeam games have low goal differences. To reflect that we are proposing a Bye to be 3:0 instead of 10:0. Discussion thread here
- LWL weight limit increase is under consideration (more details below), discuss here
- Allowing WiFi is something we have been pushing for and will continue to push for. A couple very good arguments have been made in this thread
- For 2024 we’re going to put a note in the rules that magnetic field conditions are likely to be particularly bad again in Eindhoven as they were at RCJ 2013 in the same location. Teams are advised to be prepared for that.
Open Discussions that have not (yet) lead to concrete proposed changes in the rules:
- A bunch of suggestions are in this thread which was inspired by this thread from last year. We are not making major changes to LWL for 2024, but are opening discussion all through the season for what to do for the 2025 season - we agree with the major points and want to develop the future concept with as much community feedback (especially mentors) as we can.
If you have any other suggestions to improve game play, fairness, ease of entry for new teams or any other aspect of the game please start a new thread, tag it #soccer-rules-2024 and I will edit this post to include it in this list.
We are also calling all regions that run Entry rule sets for feedback and suggestions for changes to the Entry rules. A discussion thread is open here. This needs to tie in with the changes coming to LWL in 2025 if LWL is to continue to be the first 2v2 league most teams enter.
We suggest following at least this thread and optionally any of the individual change threads with the little bell symbol to be updated with discussions and developments.
David for the Soccer League Committee