we would like your feedback and experiences on this.
we are in the process of creating a rule set for an Entry League where teams that are participating for the first couple of times have an easier time starting out. You may recognize the concept from your region as many regions are already running these kinds of competitions.
The goal for this rule set is to be used as guidelines for harmonization between regions regions within a super-region so that teams that qualify for super-regional tournaments (at the moment the Africa/Europe super-region is the only one we know to be running an Entry league at the super-regional tournament) do not have to make major changes for their robots to be allowed to play.
You will find the current version of the draft at https://robocupjuniortc.github.io/soccer-rules-entry/2023-draft-rules/rules.pdf . Differences to the regular 2023 soccer rules are highlighted in red (although both are in draft state and still subject to changes).
Major changes are:
- Each team starts only one LWL-style robot (IR ball, 22cm, 1100g max.)
- Each team member may participate a maximum of two seasons in Entry League Teams
- Top markers are not required
- No out-area, play up to the walls
- No wedge in front of walls
- Robots allowed inside penalty area
- Added flattened corners (see diagram inside rules) to prevent ball getting too stuck in corners
- Crossbar on top of goals to prevent robots driving in
- Maybe (feedback on this please) forbid yellow and blue shirts around Entry tables if walls are <22cm in case teams use cameras.
- The field size is given as a fairly large range (length, width, wall height) so that all kinds of available fields can be used (e.g. temporarily putting green carpet and two goals into an FLL field, putting some boards on a regular soccer field or using the old “Soccer A” fields that used to be their own league.
We need your feedback on all of these changes and suggestions for further changes you feel would make the Entry rules a better experience for teams in their first or second year of RoboCup Junior Soccer. Please post feedback specific to these changes here and new ideas in the lower of the two threads linked below
Also note the two other threads about entry:
- news feed thread (so people can follow without getting too many notifications, please don’t post there) : Soccer Entry League News Feed
- Entry League Experiences thread to post how your region does Entry, how it’s going, to discuss different approaches etc. here: Soccer Entry League Experiences, Questions, Ideas, Discussions