Rescue Simulation : 4.4.1 prepare the computer

Hello
I read “RoboCupJunior Rescue Simulation Rules 2023”. (RCJRescueSimulation2023RulesFinal.pdf)
so I have a question.

4.4.1 The next team in line should prepare the computer submitted at the beginning of the previous team’s round to run the program as a client to the game server.

In rule 4.4.1, it is written that the next team should prepare while the previous team is competing.
While the previous team is competing on the game server, will the next team connect to the game server or launch a program on the PC?
When should Rule 4.4.1 be enforced? Should it be enforced while the previous team is competing?
Isn’t the next team preparing after the previous team’s game is over?

Regards,
MASA

Hey MASA,

thank your for your message.

The preparing part refers to getting the program ready and making sure that the transition with the previous team goes smoothly. So yes, teams should get ready, while the previous team is competing.

Most likely, there will always be some kind of delay and teams always get additional time to prepare, after the previous team’s game is over.

Like mentioned in this thread this rule is marked with an ‘*’ and is not 100% set in stone and is also subject to change in the near future.

Best,
Alexander
2023 Committee

Hello @Alex98

Thank you reply.

your answer

So yes, teams should get ready, while the previous team is competing.

In Rule 4.4.1, the next team is given a two-minute preparation time. Please tell me specifically what the next team needs to do during these two minutes. (Do they need to connect their client PCs to the game server or launch any programs?)

Regards,
MASA

Hey MASA,

here is a detailed explanation of how we are planning to run the competition this year.

1. Before the round, we may ask teams to close(shut down / sleep) their computer to avoid making any additional changes to their code

2. (Preparation A) 10 minutes before the planned game time, we’ll invite the team to the preparation area next to the game area and allow them to open(boot/resume) their computer. During this period, the organizer should check the team will not make any changes to their code.

3. (Preparation B) 3 minutes before the planned game time, we’ll ask the team to connect their PC to the game network and ask them to set their robot JSON file via webUI. Then start their controller.

4. The maximum time limit for Prep A + B will be 10 minutes. Teams are not allowed to make any changes to their controller and the robot JSON file.

5. After the team’s preparation is completed, the judge will push the start button then the game will be started.

I hope this clears up any questions.

Important: This contradicts some information i gave in this thread. I apologize for this, as i was misinformed about the full procedure.

Best,
Alexander
2023 Committee

Hello @Alex98

Thank you reply

Thank you for providing detailed instructions regarding the preparation.

your answer

The maximum time limit for Prep A + B will be 10 minutes.

The preparation time is 10 minutes.

Rules 4.4.1

The referees will give a maximum of 2 minutes.

The preparation time is 2 minutes.

It seems that the numbers provided are different. Does this mean that the rules have changed?

and

your amswer

1. (Preparation B) 3 minutes before the planned game time, we’ll ask the team to connect their PC to the game network and ask them to set their robot JSON file via webUI. Then start their controller.

I would like to know if the next team can prepare, such as connecting to the game server, during the game of the previous team. In your response, will step 3 (Preparation B) be carried out after the previous team’s game?

Regards,
MASA

Hey MASA,

Rule 4.4.1 only refers to Preparation B, as Preparation A only ensures that teams are ready to go according to the specified schedule.
This is obviously not part of the rules, as every organizer can manage the timeframe of the schedule as they see fit. At the end of the day, we need to make sure that teams have comfortable time frames for the competition and don’t feel rushed but also make sure, that we keep to a reasonable schedule so as not to cause too many delays.
In addition, Preparation B will not happen while other teams are still running.

We will release a detailed schedule at the competition. But whatever schedule we end up using, rest assured that it will be following the rules.

Hope this cleared up any questions.

Best,
Alexander
2023 Committee

Hello @Alex98

Thank you reply

your answer

Rule 4.4.1 only refers to Preparation B

I understand from your response that the preparation mentioned in Rule 4.4.1 refers to Preparation B.

Preparation B will not happen while other teams are still running.

I have understood that Preparation B is to be conducted after the completion of the previous team’s competition.

and rule 4.4.1

4.4.1 The next team in line should prepare the computer submitted at the beginning of the previous team’s round to run the program as a client to the game server.

rule 4.4.1 states that the next team prepare when the previous team starts game. (The next team prepares while the previous team is competing)
I think that this rule and your answer do not match.
so “Did the rules change?”

Regards,
MASA