2020 rules clarifications (from TC)

Dear all,

Regarding the 2020 rules, there are some clarification points that we have identified, which may come in handy for those that might have similar queries now or in the future. More will be updated as time goes on.

Both
1 ---------------------

The English rules have priority over any translations

We would like to highlight that for competition officially run by the RoboCup federation, the English take full priority - which to say that the competition will be run by the final rules + clarifications/corrections on this forum. Any additional changes or interpretations from regional/local competitions or translations should be disregarded in such competitions.

Rescue Line:
1 ---------------------

(4.5.5) Dead victims will result in the same multiplier as the live victim if more than one live victim has been successfully evacuated.

“more than one victim has been successfully evacuated” refers to live victims evacuated prior or at the same to any evacuation of the dead victims.

A sample of the scoring sheet for both line and maze will be uploaded in due course.

2 ---------------------

(2.9.3) If the team chooses the rescue kit to be placed on the path […]

The team has a binary choice of whether to have the rescue kit on the robot or on the path. The team does not have the choice of where to place the rescue kit, but this is chosen by the field designer and should be kept constant for each team on that field.

Rescue Maze:

Dear @kaijunge

According to:

“more than one victim has been successfully evacuated” refers to live victims evacuated prior or at the same to any evacuation of the dead victims.

If the robot can evacuate live and dead victims at the same time and gets points like it has evacuated live ones first, what specifies the difference between a team that recognizes both live victims and dead victims and a team that doesn’t?

Dear @HRobo

For the 2020 rules, same rule applies to this from 2018/19, i.e.: if dead and live are dropped into the evacuation point at the “same time” then this will be counted as the live victim being dropped first. More information can be found here.

Best,

Kai
2020 TC

Dear @kaijunge

Thanks for your reply. I get what you’re saying but I can’t understand why would teams detect dead victims and live victims if they can just drop them all with complete score.

In simple words, with this rule what’s the point of having 2 type of victims?

Best regards

Dear @HRobo

It’s a good question, and I think it comes down to what level of complexity do the teams want to tackle the rules to. For example, a team can search around the evacuation zone until they found all three victims, in which case there is no distinction between the three. However, what if one of the victims are hiding behind an obstacle? Or the robot is unlucky and cannot find a victim. The robot can keep searching, but also needs to be aware of the remaining time to tackle the line tracing tasks after the evacuation zone. To truly maximise points, it is advantageous to distinguish between the two victims. Of course a value-to-effort argument can be made, but that is for everything (e.g.: choosing between level 1 or 2 evacuation zone).

We could have made interpretation in such as way that if a robot rescues all victims at once, it is regarded the other way around - but given the current technical level of teams and the new additions into the 2020 rules, we think it is sensible to have the interpretation in favour for the teams, at least for this year.

Does this answer you question?

Best,

Kai
2020 TC

1 Like

Dear @kaijunge

I’m not convinced about my question yet but these are very good points that you have mentioned so thank you any way.